Prevention of Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying (HIB)
I. Overview and Definition
II. Procedures for Reporting
III. HIB Compliance Officer Contact Information
I. Overview and Definition:
The University Place School District strives to provide students with optimal conditions for learning by maintaining school environments where everyone is treated with respect and no one is physically or emotionally harmed. In order to ensure respect and prevent harm, it is a violation of district policy for a student to be harassed, intimidated or bullied by others in the school community. In addition, UPSD is committed to ensuring a safe and civil environment for all employees, parents, volunteers and patrons that is free from harassment, intimidation and bullying.
“Harassment, intimidation, or bullying” is defined as any intentionally written message or image, verbal statement, or physical act that:
- Physically harms a student or damages the student’s property.
- Has the effect of substantially interfering with a student’s education.
- Is so severe, persistent or pervasive that it creates an intimidating or threatening educational environment.
- Has the effect of substantially disrupting the orderly operation of the school.
Acts of harassment, intimidation and bullying include – but are not limited to – those shown to be motivated by race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, (including gender expression or identity) mental or physical disability or other distinguishing characteristics. Acts of harassment, intimidation and bullying also include messages, images or comments that are electronically transmitted via personal electronic device, social media and/or internet.
More detailed information about the UPSD policy for the prevention of harassment, intimidation and bullying can be found in UPSD Policy 3207 and in UPSD Procedure 3207P. Click here to access this policy and procedure.
II. Procedures for Reporting:
How to report Harassment, Intimidation or Bullying (HIB) in University Place School District:
- Incidents – or suspected incidents – of harassment, intimidation or bullying can be reported verbally or in writing to any UPSD employee. However, reporters are strongly encouraged to report incidents directly to the Principal or Assistant Principal at the school where the problems are taking place.
- Anyone can make a report – not just victims or harassment, intimidation or bullying. If you know of someone who is a victim of harassment, intimidation or bullying, please urge them to report. If they don’t, you can make a verbal or written report yourself.
- Written reports of harassment, intimidation or bullying should be made using the district’s HIB REPORTING FORM. Forms that are completed online should be given to the Principal or Assistant Principal at the school where the problems are taking place. or the equivalent form available at each school site. These forms are available online, and can be accessed by clicking the highlighted text above or by selecting “Report Harassment, Intimidation or Bullying” in the menu on the left.
- Reports may be anonymous, confidential or non-confidential. However, we strongly encourage reporters to share their name and contact information so that we can promptly respond to the allegations and take all necessary actions to prevent further issues from occurring.
- UPSD staff and/or administration will respond promptly to all reports. In some cases, the staff member receiving the complaint will take action to stop the problem. In other cases, an investigation will be conducted into the allegations by a school administrator. In all cases where an HIB Form is completed, the UPSD compliance Officer will receive a copy of the report with a summary of findings and action taken. It is important to note that not all reports of harassment, intimidation and bullying result in discipline against an alleged aggressor.
- Additional information on procedures for reporting incidents of harassment, intimidation and bullying are available in UPSD Procedure 3207P.
III. HIB Compliance Officer Contact Information:
University Place School District HIB Compliance Officer:
Jeff Chamberlin, Assistant Superintendent
University Place School District
3717 Grandview Drive W
University Place WA 98466
Fax (253) 566-5607